- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 3 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons Vegeta Chicken Stock Powder
- 50g sweet rice flour, plus extra for dusting chicken (see note)
- 50g potato starch
- 50g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 700g free range chicken thigh fillets, cut into 4 slices
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions, sliced finely
- GOCHUJANG CHILLI SAUCE
- ¼ cup gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- 1 clove garlic, grated finely
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons dark soy
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
Vegeta Chicken Stock Powder
Preparation For this recipe you only need imagination!
Simple 4 Persons40 min
- 1 Add the oil to a 5cm depth in a large pot and heat to 170C.
- 2 For the CHILLI SAUCE, add all the ingredients to a saucepan and simmer for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly. Pour into a serving bowl.
- 3 Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until foaming. Whisk in 200 millilitres of iced water; sift in Vegeta Chicken Stock Powder , rice flour, potato starch, plain flour, soda, ground pepper, Chinese five spice and and mix with chopsticks until roughly combined, leaving it slightly lumpy.
- 4 Dust chicken pieces in extra rice flour and add to the batter; fold until well coated
- 5 Fry chicken in batches for 6 minutes each. Drain on paper towel and set aside, keeping the batches separate.
- 6 Once the chicken has all been cooked, fry again for another 3-4 minutes, starting with the first batch you cooked, until deeply golden. Drain again and transfer to a warm plate.
- 7 Sprinkle with sesame seeds and spring onion, serve immediately with the chilli sauce.